Saturday, November 11, 2017

Burn bootable iso image to USB stick using dd: Won't boot (despite USB first in boot sequence)


I have installed Ubuntu on a Lenovo Thinkpad R500 2732, and I must update the BIOS.


On the Lenovo website, I am offered this:



BIOS Update Bootable CD for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP - ThinkPad R500



I guess a bootable CD that would do a BIOS update is indeed what I need. (still wondering why it says "Windows" though... if it is bootable should not it be OS-agnostic?)


Not wanting to waste a CD, I copied the image to my USB stick:


sudo dd if=/home/nico/7yuj40uc.iso of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M

And rebooted, after making sure USB is first in the boot sequence.


PROBLEM: It does not boot. Did I forget one step?


Details about the iso image (readme):


ls -lh 7yuj40uc.iso
25M
file 7yuj40uc.iso
/home/nico/7yuj40uc.iso: # ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data '7YUJ40US ' (bootable)

(Scroll to the right: it says "bootable")



  • UNetbootin does not work because it is not a Linux image.

  • Some people on the Internet advise to copy the content of the ISO and do other steps. This ISO has zero ISO content so it would not work. If I mount the ISO, I can see it contains zero files.


Answer



https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ThinkPad_Edge has the process:



  1. Grab and unpack https://gna.org/projects/grub4dos/ (the wiki has an old link)

  2. In the grub4dos directory, sudo ./bootlace.com /dev/sdb

  3. cp grldr /media/USBSTICK

  4. cp menu.lst /media/USBSTICK

  5. cp /path/to/7yuj40uc.iso /media/USBSTICK


Finally you have to add the following code to the menu.lst on your pendrive to make the USB-Stick boot the PC DOS program made by lenovo:


title Thinkpad-BIOS-UPDATE
find --set-root /7yuj40uc.iso
map /7yuj40uc.iso (0xff) || map --mem /7yuj40uc.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)
boot

And that's about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...