Thursday, November 30, 2017

command line - Completely disable UAC in Windows 10


When I was running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, I had UAC disabled and everything was working smoothly for me. Now I've updated to Windows 10 Pro 32-bit (and recently also the 2015-11 update), I'm having a few issues. Although I have UAC set to "Never notify" in Control Panel, I find that certain activities are still fettered by UAC. For example, Windows Explorer doesn't let me create a file in certain folders, such as C:.


I use the Command Prompt quite a lot. In Windows 7, with UAC turned to "Never notify", Command Prompt automatically started as Administrator; whereas under Windows 10 I have to explicitly right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". More annoyingly, when I connect to the Windows 10 machine from another PC, using NET USE with my username for the target machine, I don't have access to do anything in folders that need admin access. I haven't found a workaround for this.


Is there a way to completely turn off UAC in Windows 10, so that I can do all admin tasks easily?


Answer



I found the answer myself.


WARNING: This is not generally recommended as it compromises system security. Only do this if you know what you are doing.


Using the Control Panel UAC setting only does half the job. To turn off UAC completely, go to


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and change the value EnableLUA to 0.


Do what you need to do, and then set it back to 1 to avoid endangering system security for too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...