Tuesday, October 31, 2017

windows 10 equivalent to windows 7 "end process"


In windows 7, when I program hangs, I call up the task list. If I do "end task" it will ask if I want to "Wait for the program to close", or "End now". Whichever option I choose, it seems to just hang indefinitely while "waiting for the program to close" (I get an infinite green progressbar). So, I always right click the task in the task list, select "Go To Process" which brings me to the associated process in the process list tab, and choose "End Process" which, 100% of the time, kills the program instantly, which is exactly what I want.


EDIT For clarification:




According to this:
What advantages does Ending Task have over Ending Process?


End Task is skin to just clicking the "Close" button on a window, whereas "End Process" is more akin to the system truly terminating the application.


Emphasis added by me:



For programs having at least one window, End Task does the same as
clicking the X "Close" button
– it sends the WM_CLOSE message to that
window, asking it nicely to close. (For console windows, the
equivalent is CTRL_CLOSE_EVENT.) The program can prompt the user to
save changes, or do various cleanup tasks. If the process complies,
Task Manager waits a few seconds and proceeds with terminating the
process if it is still running.


If the process is frozen or otherwise not handling window messages it
receives, then, of course, neither End Task nor the Close button can
work.
In those cases, Windows will usually ask you to end the program
forcefully, but only after giving the program sufficient time to
respond.


Meanwhile, the End Process button does not concern itself with tasks
or windows – it calls the TerminateProcess() function and Windows
destroys the process immediately, without notifying it or giving it
any chance to clean up.





In windows 10, even though there is a "Process List" when I am in the task manager, the only options I have to kill a program are "End Task". Is there any way to get Win7's "End Process" functionality under Windows 10? Preferably without a 3rd party utility, but a 3rd party utility is fine if it is absolutely not possible under Windows 10.


Answer



In Windows 10, the Details tab is the new processes tab.
Try right-clicking the process that is hanging and select "Go to Details."
From there you should see "End Task" and the other usual options. As Daniel B has mentioned, Ending task in the details window is not the same as in the processes window.


Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...