Thursday, October 19, 2017

Move Windows 7 to a new hard drive

Currently I have upgraded my computer and bought it a fresh new 3TB hard drive. My previous setup had these disks:



  • 74GB

  • 160GB (2 partitions, the first partition with Windows 7)

  • 650GB (3 partitions)


After the PC upgrade I only could reinstall the Windows 7 again to the smaller one (160GB; the 3TB one was bought few days after the PC upgrade and Windows reinstall).


Currently I want to get rid of these old (and slow) disks (74 and 160 GB), but I need first to move the Windows 7 installation (and boot) to the 650GB one (I do not want to put it on 3TB right now). I do not want to spend my time again with installing a fresh Windows 7 and all the drivers and software, as it is time consuming and time is money.


Is there any way how can I proceed? Can I do this with the Windows default software tools or should I look for a third-party (best if free) one?


Please, take in mind the answer in this question could help me, but it is too technical (just image your Windows tells me I should create a disk image, but I have no idea how), so I'd appreciate if you could explain it step-by-step, like to a beginner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...