Thursday, October 12, 2017

display - Configuring a dual monitor with asus hd 5450



I want to extend my desktop to a second monitor with an ASUS HD 5450 (dual monitor configuration).



The VGA card has: 1 DVI-D port, 1 HDMI port and a classic VGA port.




I've two old (but functioning) monitor with only VGA port.



I saw online that there are converters HDMI->VGA cheaper than DVI-D->VGA, my question is:



can I configure the extension of the desktop by connecting a monitor on the VGA port and the other one on the HDMI port (using the HDMI->VGA converter)?



in practice: can I use the HDMI and VGA ports to configure the dual monitors (extension of the desktop)?
On ASUS site there's nothing that help me.


Answer




It doesn't make any difference, any video output can become dual (or more) monitors, for example this is my setup, under linux



xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --left-of HDMI2 --auto
xrandr --output HDMI2 --auto --rotate left


which turns off laptop lcd, makes everything available on two hdmi ports, it wouldn't matter if any or both of them being standard VGA.



by the way, some graphic card have limitations on number of concurrent ports could be activated though i have never seen with with less than two.




hope this helps


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...