Saturday, October 21, 2017

Windows 10: Cancel a pending update (remove "Update and Restart", etc.)

Windows 10 decided to enable the "Windows Update" service without telling me and has probably downloaded the Fall Creator's Update (again, since I've already had that installed, but rolled back because it broke all the things). Now I have some entries in the shutdown menu which I am not happy about.



Entries are labeled top to bottom: Standby, Hybernate, Update and Shutdown, Shutdown, Update and Restart, Restart:



enter image description here




Knowing myself I will eventually accidentally click a wrong one and brick my laptop for a few hours.



How can I cancel the pending update?



Or how can I remove the entries from this menu?



Or how can I make clicking on one of the "Update and ..." entries in the menu not actually perform the update?



In what cases does Windows enable the "Windows Update" service on its own?




OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 1703

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...