Saturday, October 21, 2017

linux - File system which supports trim command for shared SSD

I have a ~500GB SSD and I want to read/write on it from both of Windows and Linux.


As far as I know, there are three choices for file system of shared drives: FAT32, NTFS and exFAT.



  • FAT32: Not an option because of absence of large file support

  • NTFS: Supports large file but ntfs-3g does not support trim(discard)

  • exFAT: Supports large file, too, and no idea about trim support in Linux(exfat-fuse)


I've heard that trim command is very important for better lifetime of SSD.
So, which filesystem should I use for shared SSD? If exfat-fuse does not support trim either, is there other option for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...