Friday, October 20, 2017

memory - Aggressivly Ram Caching with RAMdisk and readyboost

I am thinking about using a RAMdisk and Readyboost on Windows 10 to attempt to boost my read/write speed. I understand that windows will automatically cache recently used data in ram, but whenever I look at RAM usage in the performance monitor, a good chunk of the RAM is listed as being free instead of standby. Additionally, if it is caching recently used things, would it not be better to cache something that might be used soon (as readyboost does), vs something that was recently used?


I am looking for any possible flaws in my reasoning or logic here. Unlike people in plenty of my researches, I have not intention to place swap on the RAMdisk (that defeats the purpose of swap), just a readyboost cache.


Edit 1: my question here is is this a proper train of logic, or am I missing some details that would prove this is not the best route to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...