Sunday, October 15, 2017

hard drive - Would an Intel raid configuration benefit from Intel Smart Response feature?

My hard drive took a dive so I looking at getting some new drives.


I was thinking of getting 3 WD Black Edition 1TB disks.


My motherboard has the Intel Matrix Storage feature and I was going to hook everything up in RAID 5.


I am also pretty sure my motherboard support Intel Smart Response. So I would be able to use a small SSD drive to cache frequently used data. While I was at the electronics store (MicroCenter) they were telling me that the Smart Response only becomes active on the first disk because you have to select the disk you want to cache.


Assuming that they know what they were talking about, would I be able to configure smart response to cache data from my Matrix Storage RAID 5 configuration instead of caching from a single disk?


All little info for everyone.


My build:


Gigabyte X79 based motherboard (exact model escapes me at the moment)
Intel i7 3820 Processor
32GB of DDR3 RAM


I don't see how the GPU is relevent...


Any assistance would be a great help as I want to get the stuff tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...