Saturday, October 21, 2017

partitioning - Windows 10 clean install using Windows 7 retail key

I'm thinking about migrating from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.



I believe I have 2 options available to me.






  • Do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with retail key, then do an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.


  • Do a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit install using the above retail key.





Between the two options above: which process would be the better option of the two or does it not make any difference?



Before a decision is made to give an answer to the question above take into consideration the following:




I plan to wipe my hard drive completely meaning that I do not intend to just delete the partition or format the drive. I plan on using a boot-able disk image partition program to erase the drive fully (write all 0s). Then I want to install Windows 10. I plan on shifting from the standard bios of Windows NTSC to EUFI type bios and partition types if possible.



Once my hard drive is wiped clean and I begin to install Windows 10 I want to know which of the above approaches is better for a good solid clean build of Windows 10. Install Windows 7 first then upgrade? Or Install Windows 10 directly using the Windows 7 retail key? Or what is the correct procedure before I decide to begin the process of wiping my drive?



If you need more information about my current hardware do not hesitate to ask and I will provide it if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...