Sunday, October 22, 2017

Replace windows primary hard disk without reinstall?

The "official" way to upgrade the primary hard disk of a Windows machine seems to be to install the new drive, install windows, install backup software, then do a restore from backup of the previous system.


For home use and for the sake of doing it faster, is there another way? There doesn't seem to be a standard way of making a disk other than the primary one bootable, which is a nuisance.


I've tried "install new hard drive, copy image of partition over and expand it using a gparted boot CD, remove old hard drive", but that leaves me in a strange state where windows boots OK but doesn't go to the desktop, instead going to a logo screen. CtrlAltDel does nothing at this screen. This happens even in safe mode.


I have with this home system what appears to be a Windows OEM CD (XP home sp2) that isn't bootable, which is odd.


Edit: I think the "clone and replace" using systemrescuecd does work, I'm sure I've done that before, but only if the drive is on the same controller. In this case it's IDE->SATA, which is probably the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...