Monday, October 23, 2017

Media storage and losing a drive (Drive Bender vs Raid* vs storage spaces)

I need to expand my media storage and am looking for a new solution. I have been using Drive Bender for JBOD with parity. The first time I lost a disk, the entire volume was unrecoverable. It has been about 2 years and one of my drives is dying and I want to save my media before the drive goes out entirely.




I'm done with Drive Bender. It consumes a ton of CPU, and requires a complete uninstall to upgrade to the new version.



My goal is to pick up a number of 4/6/8 TB WD and/or Seagate NAS drives. I have done a lot of research on the different options and I feel like I'm not coming up with any good options especially concerning drive failure. I don't care enough about my data for full mirroring or anything, but I also don't want a single drive to take out everything. I would like parity, but not losing everything in one go is more important. Ideally, the drives could appear as a single volume to make organization easier.



Research so far:



Drive Bender - No faith in this solution



Building a linux server isn't an option.




Raid 1 - too costly



Raid5 - looking at 6TB drives in a 4 port hardware card. Since they spin at 5400rpm, sata II cards should work however I haven't found any that support large drives. sataIII cards are $$$. Also rebuild time on a 6TB drive is dangerous.



Raid6 - way too expensive to get a 8 port card and eat two drives for parity



PCI Hardware JBOD - Looks like a single failure kills the pool, also $$$



Storage spaces - Looks the best right now, but I haven't been able to find out if the disks are readable outside of the volume when using JBOD or what the volume looks like after a drive failure. Also curious about CPU overhead on JBOD and parity modes.




Just mounting the drives - organization will be painful



Size of drive is somewhat based on the solution(i.e. PCI card needed)



Additionally I would transferring current data to the new volume, then rebuilding some of the old drives into a secondary volume, so any PCI cards would probably need to be purchased twice.



Thanks for your help



NOTE: CPU usage is a concern. I was smart enough to get in on the last round of 1150 socket chips, so upgrading CPU would be a whole thing. Memory is not a concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...