Wednesday, October 18, 2017

laptop - MacBook says to replace battery. Should I?


My MacBook says that battery is not charging, and the battery is completely empty (in fact, pressing the button on the battery illuminates no LEDs). If I plug the power adapter off the mac shuts off immediately. I tried with a spare adapter, and it won't charge it.


System information says it has 380 cycles. The battery is 2.5 years old.
System profiler says the battery has 0 mAh of capacity, and that it should be replaced.


Should I just buy a new battery, or should I bring it to an apple point, and leave it there? They can take a look at it (it's on AppleCare), they told me that they will repair it is there is anything wrong with the charging circuit, but they won't give me a new battery. They will keep the laptop for 10 working days at least...


I hate when this happens :P


Answer



The Apple Store shouldn't have to keep the machine. If it turns out to a dead battery I'd imagine you'll get a new one on the spot. You could verify it is the battery by swapping in a friend's battery to see if it works, but the chance that this is some other hardware problem is pretty remote. A visit to Apple seems pretty inevitable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...