Friday, October 27, 2017

Free/Open Source mail server that supports arbitrary names (same domain)

I have seen in some websites that lets you send a mail to an arbitraryString@mydomain.com and it still gets delivered. Note: Of course the domain name would be the same. I am sorry I don't know the correct terminology to be used in this question.




I am handling a test automation scenario for a certain website and I need to generate random email addresses for the registration process. Then I want to access that email using POP and see if the registration confirmation email is received.



So the only possibility is to run our own mail server and let all the mails to be directed to that server.



The only issue is the generation of email addresses. As 100's of test cases are run every day, we want the randomly generated email addresses to be valid, working and accessible from code.



What is this functionality called? Virtual addresses ? Aliases? And most importantly, what free/open source mail servers support this functionality?



UPDATE: I just found out about the catch all account. This sure sounds good but the issue is that emails generated from all the test cases will be directed to this email address. It would be better if I can access the received emails per email address basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...