Saturday, October 21, 2017

Can I safely use a USB "Y" cable to power a small device?


Say I have a normal USB "Y" cable - female and male with data and power connections, and an extra male port with just power connections - normally used to draw extra power from an additional port on the host.


Would it be safe to, instead, use the cable as a normal USB extension cable, and use the power-only male plug to power a small external device, like an Arduino?


edit:
It's a solution I suggested for someone who wants a simple, small device with a multicolor LED, attached to their laptop (very low power - it can certainly run off a USB port power, that's not the question). Using just a USB cord would mean losing one of the two USB ports on the laptop. Using a commercial USB hub would be bulky and impractical. My suggestion solves both of these issues, If it actually works safely. I don't necessarily think this is a good idea - I just want to know if it would work.


Maybe I should rephrase the question: It looks to me like the power connectors on the "power plug" of a USB-Y cable are simply connected to the power connectors on the "host plug" in parallel. This is designed to supply additional power, but as long as there are no diodes or other control circuitry, I believe it could draw additional power instead. My question: is this accurate? Is my understanding of the USB "Y" cable circuit correct?


Answer



I double-checked a Y cable and there was no internal circuitry, just wires. The power-only plug parallels only the power conductors. As long as the total load of both devices doesn't exceed the port capacity, what you describe will work. For USB 2.0, that's 500 mA; for USB 3.0, it's 900 mA.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...