Wednesday, October 18, 2017

installation - Reload OEM Windows XP


I have a computer that came with Windows XP Home (with the sticker on it that has the product key). I used it for some time with a (legally obtained) copy of Windows. Now I want to reload the original Windows version and product key to give it to a relative. I can't give them my copy of Windows, since it came from my MSDN subscription and is only usable by me for software development/testing. When I load the machine from my Windows disk, it does not accept the product key on the sticker.


"The CD key you entered is not valid"


I did double check my keystrokes and the XP disk I am using had all versions and I did indeed choose the correct one (Home Edition) that matched the product key sticker.


EDIT: It is clear to me from the answers below that I am using a non-OEM disk with an OEM product key. I am the first one to understand Microsoft's need to protect their IP. However, it seems like there might be a way without tracking down and purchasing recovery disks for a five year old machine just to turn around and give the machine away.


Is there a way I can accomplish this?


Answer



If this is from a small / local company, the chances are they bought a "off the shelf" OEM product and you can use any other unbranded OEM cd that is the same edition of Windows and the same service pack.


If this is from a big company with their logo on the OEM cd, you will need to use the recovery CD / DVD or method they provide to reinstall your Windows, and typically these are pre activated and do not need a serial key.


extra info--


Typically (and not always) I find that the "consumer" big brands such as Sony, Acer e.t.c. do not provide raw Windows installations and you need to use a recovery cd that is locked for your model, where as if you can obtain a HP or Dell Windows CD, these are usually just standard installs that will work on any machine from that company (maybe requiring a few drivers).


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...