Friday, October 13, 2017

32-bit Application Memory Usage on 64-bit Windows 7

I have an early 2012 Macbook Pro with and Intel i7 processor and 16 gigs RAM running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit via Bootcamp. I work in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) as a programmer, so most of the applications I am running are 32-bit Applications, but tend to use a lot of resources (i.e. ArcGIS, SQL Server Express, Visual Studio, etc.).


I have been noticing that when I have multiple instances of either the same 32-bit application or different 32-bit applications and they are all working on hefty processing tasks, I am still only topping out at about 30% memory use.


I understand 32-bit applications are limited to less than 4gb RAM, but I assumed that one instance could use its own 4gb while another instance could use another 4gb to take full advantage of all the memory I have installed.


Can anyone explain how this works and how I can get my applications to take advantage of all my memory via running multiple instances?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...