Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Windows 8.1 Laptop; Is there a way for closed lid to cause sleep but not when there is a monitor hooked up?


Is it possible to make a laptop sleep when the lid is closed UNLESS there is an external monitor that is plugged in? Perhaps a registry hack or third party software?


The control panel power settings seem to allow for closing the computer's lid to have different effects when the computer is on battery power vs. plugged in, but there is no option to have the computer sleep when the lid is closed UNLESS it is attached to an external monitor.


When I am at my desk, I use my HDMI monitor and I like to have my laptop shut and tucked away in a corner. Whenever I am not at my desk and I instinctively shut my computer, it's still running.


I imagine this is a reasonably common problem and there is an easy solution, but I've been unable to find it so far.


Any suggestions?


Answer



What I'd do in your place:



  1. Use scripts or shortcuts to switch between active power profiles

  2. Create custom power profile which doesn't sleep when lid closed

  3. Use script to detect HDMI state and run switching scripts accordingly.


All is certainly doable. Not easy, but doable.


Personal advice, though - I wouldn't. sleeping with lid closed is not perfect and too many times I pulled out a laptop from a bag fully powered on. And HOT.
I set up options so hitting power button sends it to sleep, wait it's off and only then I'm packing. I don't want to fry my machine...


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...