Monday, March 13, 2017

linux - Rename images so they burn to CD in order


I have a bunch of images named:


1.jpg
2.jpg
317.jpg
317 (2)a.jpg
etc.

In my file browser (Nautilus), they are displayed in the correct numerical order. However, in Brasero when I order them, it orders them strangely (correctly, but not the way I want them to). They order like this:


1
10
100
101
2
20
200
201
201a
3
3a
30
300
301
.
.
.

I want to rename them so that they are displayed in the correct alpha-numerical order, so I end up with this:


1
2
3
3 (2)
3 (2)a
4
5
.
.
.
50
50 (2)
.
.
.
317 (2)a
.
.
.

Questions:



  1. Can someone recommend a naming convention to rename all these files to so they are in the correct order (for example, cameras use IMG_xxxx.JPG, which is nice)?


  2. Can someone give me a Linux command line rename command for these files so they are renamed to display and therefore burn in the correct order?



They're standard JPEG files, so ordering them by the date in the EXIF data might work. I just need the correct commands, or GUI - I don't mind - to get them in order.


Renaming them by date would probably work well enough?


Answer



For reordering by date, see here ("Rename a JPG by timestamp only"). Got that via Googling "rename jpeg exif linux".


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...