Thursday, March 16, 2017

Windows 8 Pro non-upgrade version won't let me activate



I went to Best Buy to buy Windows 8 and asked for the non-upgrade (clean installation) version of it. Got the software from a salesperson who said it can be for non-upgrades (and clearly has no "Upgrade" label on the box) and after installing, lo and behold Windows is complaining that my key is no good because I didn't have a previous installation of Windows ("this specific product key can only be used for upgrading, not clean installations").



Of course, I have already referred to this but like I said the item I purchased is supposed to be for clean installs! How can I get this resolved?



UPDATE: Microsoft did help me get this fixed, but I have discovered (after some new information coming to light) that this is was a MICROSOFT problem, not with Best Buy! Background: I didn't mention that I actually bought 2 identical copies of the exact same box and product number, both Windows 8 Pro not labeled as "Upgrade" versions. Well, I thought this was Best Buy's fault because it seemed like they must have handed us 2 upgrade versions. The kicker: The other copy was for my mom, and that copy activated without a hitch. This tells me that Microsoft really screwed up here in including an upgrade-only product key in one of their full-installation boxes!! Consumer beware!


Answer



You seem fairly positive that this is not an upgrade version. So, the best thing to do at this point is call Microsoft's activation team and talk to them at (888) 571-2048. They will be able to sort out your situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...