Tuesday, March 14, 2017

windows 7 - Ram- Modified Page List using all memory


I have this issue where my PC's RAM completely fills up over the course of a few hours. I know that memory usage in itself is not bad, however, it has grown to the point that it makes the PC slow and unable. I have 12 GB of ram and typically, the RAM usage will go up to 11.5 GB causing this huge slowdown. I do have the page file enabled on system managed.


I found this application called RamMap from Sysinternals that shows the RAM usage and I find that choosing empty Modified Page List multiple times will clear the RAM back down to 6.5 GB usage. This makes the computer usable again, but what is causing the modified page list to take up all my memory?


I'm running Windows 7 and RamMap is shown below. This is a screenshot after clearing the modified page file.


RamMap


Answer



According to the picture


enter image description here


the memory usage of modified is only 77MB and the data from the ETL


enter image description here


the memory usage of modified is only 60 MB, which is low.


The real usage comes from the PageTable, which is over 2GB, but I see no related process (UNKNOWN (-1)):


enter image description here


Here some 3rd party tools cuase the leak. 1 knwon tool is Lenovo "RapidBoot Shield", but you use a Dell laptop. Stop several tools until you can isolate which tool causes it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...