Friday, March 17, 2017

Vista reboots after logon


Having a strange issue with Vista Ultimate with SP1. Whenever I reboot and logon successfully, after about 5 seconds vista will reboot. No error messages, nothing in Event Viewer, etc.


However, if I logon quick enough ie as soon as the logon screen appears, Vista will run smoothly. Until I reboot of course.


This is on a laptop so I've tried unplugging all peripherals with no luck. Thought it was a Windows Update causing the problem originally but I don't have restore points that go back far enough to check.


Update: Well have had an interesting morning. Seems the issue sorted itself out, being inquisitive i tried turning the machine off while shutting down. Issue returned. At least I know the source of the problem now.


Tried various things:



  • Safe Mode - startup hung at crcdisk.sys

  • System Restore (from disk) - couldn't restore ("The Disk(c:) has errors"), chkdisk failed to correct errors. System restore then locked up :(

  • "Last Known Good Configuratoin" - seems to get me back in still same reboot issue though

  • Diagnostic Startup in msconfig - disables pretty much all services, (including windows logon service..arghh!!) so couldn't logon. Machine rebooted while i was trying to logon so startup services/programs don't seem to be the issue.


At this point I'm tempted to live with it, heck it evens seems like an added "Security Feature" :)


Seems I might move to Win7 earlier than expected.


Answer



I had an issue with reboots before. I believe it is possible that if you shutdown your computer before it finishes the shutdown computer sequence there is a possibility of corrupting a file. When I had this issue, I had to run a repair of Windows Vista.


Best of luck on this one!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...