Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Linux File system for a 1 TB External Hard drive

I have a 1TB external seagate hard drive that i use it with my dell inspiron 1525 laptop running UBuntu 9.04. I dont intend to share my hdd with anyone, so my laptop is the only comp i will plug it into. Its on NTFS right now, it auto mounts as soon as i plug it in and i can transfer data without worrying about permissions.


But, ntfs-3g takes up a lot of cpu and resources, particularly for long running data transfers of over 20G.
So i want to shift to a native linux file system for my hdd (probably ext4 or ext3 ?).


1) Will there be a significant difference in data transfer rate( <= 26 MBps currently) , cpu usage and system responsiveness with a native file system as opposed to NTFS ?


2) Will auto mounting work or do i have to manually mount it every time.


3) What do i have to do to mask file system permissions or to make sure that
the permissions don't get in the way like in NTFS ?


EDIT:


I don't intend to ever use the drive in windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...