Saturday, March 18, 2017

linux - Is my hard drive about to fail?


I hear some squeaking noises sometimes when I use my computer so I ran smartctl. This is the results:


    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 5953 37922655
# 2 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 5953 37922655
# 3 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 5953 37922655
# 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 429 -
# 5 Extended offline Aborted by host 90% 429 -
# 6 Short offline Completed without error 00% 429 -
# 7 Short offline Completed without error 00% 429 -

Is this a bad sign of it failing?


EDIT


sudo smartctl -d ata -H /dev/sda is ran which ouputs:


SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Please note the following marginal Attributes:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 055 044 045 Old_age Always In_the_past 45 (0 7 56 19)

Answer



I had a similar situation a few days ago with a 500GB SeaGate drive. The short SmartCTL test would not complete.


I downloaded a bootable drive-testing ISO from the manufacturer's website (SeaTools) and ran that. It also provides short and long tests, but prompted to repair at the end of the long test. IIRC, Western Digital and Hitachi also provide bootable environments to test their drives. You'll need to dig around their websites or use a search engine to find them.


PS: any squeaking noises from a drive are obviously not good. Check that the noise is coming from the drive and not one of the fans for example. Also ensure that the drive is mounted securely.


PPS: I suggest BACKING UP everything of value BEFORE running any other tests on the drive, such as the bootable testing environments I mentioned above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...