Tuesday, March 21, 2017

memory - Windows 7 32-Bit Usable RAM Waste






I am using Windows 7 32-bit on my laptop, and I have 4gb of physical RAM.


In my system properties, it says that 2.99GB are usable. Does this mean the other 1GB are basically useless or are they being used for other things that do contribute to keeping the computer running smooth?


Answer



Correct. They are basically useless under a 32-bit operating system. Welcome to the x86 legacy that your devices are mapped to the upper end of your 4GB address space and mask it from its intended use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...