Monday, March 20, 2017

New Hard Drive not recognized on boot

I am upgrading the hard drive on my Dell Precision M4400 laptop.



The current drive is a Seagate Momentus 7200 80GB.
The new drive is a Hitachi 5K500 250GB.
--> Both are SATA.




I have an external USB cradle, and used DriveImage XML to clone the old to the new. When the new drive is in the cradle, the files can be seen just fine. When I change the boot sequence and boot from the external USB cradle, the drive boots just fine.



But when I put the new drive into the laptop drive bay, the system complains that there "are no bootable devices".



I change the SATA settings in the bios (ATA, AHCI, IRRC) to no avail.



I am pretty certain I am missing something silly, but I can't find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...