Saturday, March 25, 2017

ubuntu - Getting a laptop, installing Linux and Windows



I ordered a Lenovo laptop, and it has 500GB of hard drive space. It is coming without an OS. I want to install Ubuntu and Windows 7 x64. However, I still want access to shared files, such as my music and videos. What would you suggest for partioning lengths?



The windows machine will be used for games, visual studio and general stuff. Ubuntu will be used for.. well I don't know, I just really want to try linux =) I guess programming in everything except Direct-X stuff (XNA, xbox, etc.)




Also, I could get an external HDD, but I'd prefer to keep it all on the laptop - 500gb should be enough, right?


Answer



To be honest with you, so many people (such as yourself) say they want to "try" another Operating system such as Linux and end up dual booting such as what you are asking, then hardly use it.



Dual Booting is a big step, requires serious thought and planning in advance.



Unless you really know that you are going to be using Linux, I really would not bother.



Unless you know for sure you are going to be doing graphically intensive stuff in Linux, I would personally just install Windows and go for virtualising Linux. This has many benefits - snapshotting being the main one, so as you are learning Linux, you can do what you want without the fear of screwing anything up.




However, if I really can't tempt you to do this, then, whilst Linux can read from NTFS, by far the easiest thing you can do is to have, a ~50GB drive for Linux (Again, if you won't be using it seriously, this should be ample), a ~5GB drive formatted as Fat so you can exchange files and the rest as NTFS for Windows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...