Saturday, March 18, 2017

macos - How do I completely download a web page, while preserving its functionality?

I've been trying to save this webpage using all of the methods that I know, but none of them have worked so far. The website itself has some great functionality. It is able to render MathJax in realtime, without any noticeable lag. I want to be able to use it offline, so I wanted to save it. I haven't been very successful. I'm on MacOS. Here is what I have tried so far:




  1. Save as on Safari as a Web Archive (.webarchive) – doesn't preserve the page's functionality

  2. Save as on Safari as Page Source (.html) – Completely messes the page up

  3. HTTrack – doesn't preserve the webpage's functionality

  4. Save as on Chrome as Webpage, Complete (.html) – messes up layout and functionality


  5. WebDumper – gives me a "Forbidden" error

  6. itsucks – messes webpage up

  7. SiteSucker – messes webpage up

  8. ScrapBook (firefox) – messes up

  9. A couple of other things that I can't remember anymore.



I just want to save the website and be able to use it offline. I noticed something interesting, however. When I'm in Safari and I go offline, the webpage performs fine. This undoubtedly means that the webpage can run offline with no problem – I just need a way to save it properly. I suppose I could create a virtual machine, load up the site on it and then save it as a snapshot and use it whenever I want to offline, but that seems like quite a disproportionate solution for such a seemingly simple problem.



On a side note: would it be possible to save a webpage like this (iPhone 6S page) with all of the scrolling animations, embedded pictures and videos and all the rest? I've only tried creating a Web Archive using Safari, but it only saved the nice scrolling animation – not the embedded pictures and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...