Monday, June 10, 2019

Where can I download a legitimate copy of Windows 8 without having to supply an activation key?



I own a Lenovo Yoga 13 ultrabook and the Windows key is stored internally in the UEFI or something like that. The windows installer automatically recognizes the key during install. Here's my issue:


I need to create a Windows 8 USB installer (ultrabook has no disc drive). One easy way is to download the windows 8 installer and run it. After inputting your windows key it downloads windows and gives you install options. One of those options is to create a USB installer.


I used the one windows 8 key that I had for another machine to get to the part where it generates the USB installer. It created it successfully. I booted from USB just fine and began reinstalling Windows 8 on my ultrabook. At this point it did properly detect my ultrabook's key, but the USB installer I created was for Windows 8 Pro because the key I had was for Windows 8 Pro. However, the internal ultrabook's key is NOT for windows 8 pro. It tells me it cannot find a valid windows image for the key I supplied.


I assume if I supplied a regular windows 8 key to the downloaded installer then it would have generated a regular windows 8 USB installer. I just don't have a regular windows 8 key other than the one stored internally.


Bottom line is I need to create a regular windows 8 (not pro) USB installer. Any help is greatly appreciated.


Answer



You can only download the Windows 8 Pro upgrade (and yes, you'll need a valid product key)


There is no direct download for Windows 8 (Digital River) right now.


You can always call Lenovo to ask for a recovery disk (or ask them about how to access the recovery partition). www.lenovo.com/contact/us/


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...