Friday, June 7, 2019

Not able to boot off of bootable USB for Windows 10 (made on Arch Linux)

I've been following instructions on this website to get a bootable USB of Windows 10 so I can install it on another computer. This is essentially what I have done:



  1. Used GParted to create a brand new msdos partition table on the USB (filesystem FAT32)


  2. Used dd to copy over all the contents of the Windows 10 ISO to the USB


    Contents: boot/ , efi/ , sources/ , support/ , autorun.inf, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, setup.exe


  3. Changed the boot order on the machine to boot from USB first


  4. Just a flashing cursor on a black screen appears, unable to boot



Any idea as to why this could be happening? All my systems are 64-bit, and many websites said to make sure there is a file called "efi/boot/bootx64.efi" because that
is needed for booting up, and there is on the USB drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...