Thursday, June 6, 2019

partitioning - New SSD hdparm shows "frozen" - whether secure erase is needed before installing Linux

I have a new, unpartitioned(not touched*) Intel 330 180GB SSD on my Desktop to which I plan to install Debian testing. I use a 160GB Disk with Ubuntu to which, this SSD is now installed. I ran latest gparted live cd and issued "hdparm -I /dev/sda" and it showed as frozen:


Security:
Master password revision code = 65534
supported
not enabled
not locked
**frozen**
not expired: security count
supported: enhanced erase
4min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 2min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.

So, Shall I do a secure erase before installing OS?


UPDATE
This is a Intel 330 180GB SSD sitting idle in my shelf for 2years and have just connected it to my pc. What I did was, tried to update the firmware from Intel's firmware update bootable live cd and it returned saying, everything is OK. can not find what went wrong or am plane unlucky!
UPDATE
gparted recognizes the SSD and I can even format a msdos disk label to the SSD. very confusing!
UPDATE - Apparently, SSD drive gets locked down due to security freeze set by motherboard BIOS. since hdparm shows "not locked, frozen" state, harddrive/SSD encryption will not work. I have seen a link where the BIOS jumper setting can be put in configuration mode for advanced features. still ,it doesn't offer anything. However, you can install on SSD fine as verified by Intel community forums and here: https://communities.intel.com/message/251978#251978 and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Hdparm_shows_.22frozen.22_state

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...