Sunday, June 30, 2019

encryption - removing sensitive data from laptop (ssd drive) before sending to support


Here is my problem. My computer has a screen problem and needs to be sent to the manufacturer's support desk.


However I have some private files on the computer I dont want the support to (possibly) access. My computer is on win 8.1 pro and I have two internal ssd drives encrypted with bitlocker.


My question is, if I re-install windows (win 8.1 allows to do that easily), is anyone able to recover my files? I mean, the files were encrypted AND I re-installed the OS completely. Am I safe or I am missing something here?


Thanks


Answer



If you are so concerned about data privacy, I would like to recommend to do a complete disk wiping, that is by filling the disk with 0 or 1's, depending on the software used.
You should check this out.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-hard-disk-cleaning-and-erasing-tools/


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...