Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Do virus definition files typically contain definitions for other OS viruses?

Let's say I have a Mac which I believe is infected with virus. I understand the best course of action is to scan the drive from a bootable DVD. However, will this work if my DVD is a Linux distro? In other words, will the Linux antivirus download the definitions for Mac viruses and look for those?


I'm thinking that they might, to prevent using other OSes as a virus vector, but I'd like to know for certain one way or the other.


Also, I suppose that this is probably vendor-specific, but I'm wondering what the industry standard is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...