Monday, June 10, 2019

Linux and Windows 7 dual boot on SSD with data HDD

I'm soon about to purchase a new desktop (for gaming, programming etc), and I'm trying to figure out a good setup for a dual boot with Linux and Windows 7.


I'm thinking of getting a SSD for storing the operating systems and applications, and having a large 1 or 2 TB harddrive for storage (for both operating systems) and games (for Windows 7, I have many games).


Right now I'm thinking of a setup like this:


SSD:



  • /dev/sda1 - Linux root partition

  • /dev/sda2 - Linux swap

  • /dev/sda3 - Windows 7 partition


Harddrive:



  • /dev/sdb1 - Linux /home

  • /dev/sdb2 - Windows 7 storage and games


I've never had a SSD before, so I have no idea if this a good setup or not. My question is basically is this a good setup, or should I do something else? If I get say, a 60GB SSD, to do you have any good recommendations on partition sizes on the SSD?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...