Thursday, June 6, 2019

Reinstalling windows 10 w/o losing apps

My windows 10 machine is having issues with the optical drive and HDMI port and I think my best course of action is to re-install windows 10. THIS question is about that process.


This machine has windows 10 installed as an upgrade from windows 7, so during that process all my existing apps survived. I would like to be able to "reinstall" windows 10 w/o deleting all my other apps, just 'refresh" the OS in a manner largely (I assume) analogous to how the original Win7->Win10 upgrade went. Is this possible? And if so, pointers?


I still have the option to roll back to Windows 7, so plan B might be to do that and then re-apply the Win10 upgrade. However, I might have installed a few apps since the original upgrade so I'd like to know if "plan-B" would also delete those apps (restoring me to the apps I had when I last ran Win7).


(Note, I stupidly neglected to active the restore point system after installing Win10, so rolling back is unfortunately not an option for me.)


Thanks


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...