Tuesday, June 25, 2019

firefox - newer version of Iceweasel on Debian Squeeze


I'd like to install as recent Firefox/Iceweasel as possible (for instance one that supports SVG images) on Debian Squeeze (stable). I don't mind installing testing packages if that's what it takes.


I have tried using http://mozilla.debian.net/, but it won't upgrade Iceweasel to 3.6 - it says that the package is already at newest version. Currently installed version is however 3.5.10. Any ideas?


Also, if anyone knows how I can use a newer version of Firefox/Iceweasel (ideally latest - FF7) without breaking my neck every time I update the system, I'd be very grateful. :) I have found this tutorial, but I am afraid I will have problems library dependencies if I go that route.


Note: I don't care if it is Firefox or Iceweasel, I would just like a recent version and auto updates (either debian or mozilla-style, whichever works). Please avoid flame war.


Answer



Here is a link that allows you to install the latest Firefox without uninstalling your old version. The old version is renamed and you can still run it if you wish. The new version is installed into /opt and links are created so that menus still work. I've been using this on Debian squeeze a couple of weeks with no problems. It advertises automatic updates, but I can't confirm that automatic updates work.


how-to-install-firefox-on-ubuntu-linux-mint


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...