Tuesday, October 30, 2018

windows - Ninja-stealth upgrading hard drive

I'm looking to ninja-stealth upgrade the laptop in my work computer to an SSD. The current hard drive looks to be a ~250gig spinning rust drive so I bought a similar sized SSD. Unfortunately it seems that the drive I bought is slightly smaller than the current drive.



I proceeded by resizing the partitions on the current drive down. It seems that there are two paritions: the regular C: and a BDEParition which, as I understand it, is used during enterprise deployments of windows. I recreated the partitions on the new drive using fdisk off a linux boot CD and then used dd to copy the partition contents over. The new drive failed to boot at all: just a black screen.



I assume that because the disk geometry is now different that the boot loader, which I believe resides on the BDEPartition, is unable to find windows. I tried booting with a windows disk and running the repair tool but no dice. Any idea how I could get my stealth boot working?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...