Saturday, October 20, 2018

linux - Cannot properly format pendrive on Ubuntu 10.10



I put Jolicloud on a pendrive to install it to my laptop, tried it out, didn't like it, and installed ubuntu with a CD instead. Now I want to use my pendrive for storage, so I popped it in, loaded up Gparted and formatted the drive.




Now, when I pop the pendrive into my laptop, Ubuntu thinks that Jolicloud is still on it, when Gparted says there are no partitions on the pendrive.



Screenshot:
alt text
What's going on, here? How can I properly format the pendrive?


Answer



One thing that might be causing this is an issue with the partition labels. It should all have been erased when you erased the partitions, but maybe something failed.



Using Gparted, try creating a new (FAT32) partition in your pendrive that spans the entire available space. Then, give it a new label (whichever name you like), just as insurance. That might solve your problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...