Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Asus G752V battery not charging


Yesterday I forgot my laptop charger at my place of work so I couldn't charge it and eventually it ran to 0%.


This morning I plugged it in and tried to turn it on but it would shut down 2 seconds later. I left it to charge for half an hour but the same thing would happen, so I decided to charge for longer. Suddenly, the charging LED turned off and the laptop wouldn't turn on either.


If I leave the laptop not charging for a while it will attempt to turn on but fail on connection to the grid which tells me it's not the power adapter's fault.


I can't extract the battery without completely disassembling the laptop and holding down the power button for over a minute and plugging back in did not provide any thing but darkness.


Note that the laptop is less than a week old, so I doubt the battery has failed, but it may have after all. Does anybody know what else I could try?


EDIT: Just opened up the laptop to attempt a hard reset or to try and have the laptop run without a battery. Neither have worked. I'm going to let it settle to trigger the let's try boot up behaviour I explained. If it doesn't work, I'm servicing it.


Answer



Actually, completely depleting an Li-ion battery can damage it. However, the PC power management settings should prevent that, leaving a margin of ~10% or so -- unless you changed that setting.


If letting the laptop charge for a day does not fix the issue, and it's only a week old, return it. You might want to use an external HDD enclosure and another PC to salvage anything on the disk and then erase any PII.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...