Monday, October 22, 2018

laptop - Store or use Li-Ion battery when on AC



I've read conflicting opinions on this point...



I've got a laptop that spends most of it's time as a desktop, plugged in on AC power for a few weeks, between occasional trips to the conference room or further afield. On my last business trip, I realised battery life was down to 40 minutes, so I've bought a new battery.



It seems like I may as well store the new battery for when it is needed, and continue to use the old batteries 40 minute life while I'm at the office.



I've read there is no benefit removing a battery when on AC power, however I've also read that a battery at 100% charge and ~35C will lose about 30% capacity a year, while a battery stored at 40% charge / 20C will lose 4% - which implies there is a massive benefit...



Answer



You are correct, storing it at 30-50% charge will increase the life as opposed to keeping it at 100% charge all the time. I have done this for years when using a notebook in a desktop environment.



Most notebook manufacturers recommend this


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...