Wednesday, October 24, 2018

encryption - TrueCrypt 6.3 Traveller Disk issues

So, I am in the process of trying to configure some encrypted USB flash drives for some of our users who take some of our more sensitive data away with them. Budgets are tight so I thought TrueCrypt would be awesome as its free, fairly decent by all accounts and a tough nut to crack.


Thought I would create an encrypted container file on the 4GB USB disk leaving about 350 odd megabytes for other files. Created the container called "Files" using the Volume creation wizard. Entered the passwor dto use, generated the random pool of data and formatted the disk. I then added the TrueCrypt travellers disk files using the option. Exited True Crypt and safely removed the disk. Plugged it back in, selected a drive letter and click automount. Entered password and all it says is "Incorrect password or no TrueCrypt volume found!".


Have been puzzling over this for awhile. Tried as many fat handed combinations of the password i selected just incase (including several million myriad of caps lock variations :)) but to no avail. I tried the "Select File" option thinking I could point it towards the "Files" container but browsing the USB drive draws an absolute blank for that file. Have I totally buggered the drive as I was thinking I will just format and start again but windows only sees the 350 MB leftover and not the 3GB encrypted bit. I admit I have yet to get all command line or linuxy and try and fdisk it in to submission.


Any help?


Thanks


Tim


EDIT UPDATE: I have tried using a linux boot recovery (from Ultimate Boot CD) and fdisk as well as diskpart but none of the above can see anymore than the 300MB bit of the disk. Is there anyway to manually erase the partition table and replace with one from another similar USB stick perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...