Thursday, October 25, 2018

windows 7 - Sound Skipping/Slowing/Distorting


This issue seems to have cropped up recently, though I had it before and managed to fix it. I upgrade my video card to an nVidia GeForce 9500 GE, which recommended more power than my stock power supply could produce. I thought I'd ignore it, but I noticed that playing music and doing any sort of work would cause the sound to distort and skip.


I upgraded the power supply to a newer one that was well above the recommended wattage for the video card, and the sound issue went away.


Recently though, it's been happening again and I'm not sure why. It only seems to happen if I'm browsing or playing a game, but just letting the music play causes no problems.


Does anyone have an idea as to what causes this distortion? Is there anything I can do?


Answer



This sounds like a latency problem. Check out your system DPC Latency. If you see any unusual spikes, try disabling devices one at a time to see if you can pin down what's causing it. (You might also try disabling nVidia's apps and services with something like Autoruns; they shouldn't be needed for the drivers to function unless you're doing their spanning or 3D or something.)


That said, it's entirely possible that there's some failing hardware - this might help you pin it down though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...