Wednesday, October 10, 2018

What memory can go in my desktop?


I am looking to up the RAM on my HP Pavillion A6000n desktop machine. Looking at CPU-Z, it seems as though the current memory in there is DDR2 PC2-4300 (266 MHz).


My question is, can I go with any DDR2 memory that I find? In other words, does it have to be PC2-4300 or can that vary?


Thanks in advance!


EDIT:


For instance, can this DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM work in my machine with no problems?


Answer



a DDR2 module will downclock in the event of inserting a higher-frequency DIMM than is supported. Also, if the clock speed of the DIMM exceeds the maximum supported frequency it will underclock accordingly.


If you're running in dual-channel mode, the RAM will run at the lower clock speed of the two DIMMS. (e.g. PC2-5300 & PC2-6400 = PC2-5300)


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...