Monday, October 22, 2018

partitioning - Does a Windows 8 system reset remove malware?


I think I may have gotten a virus/malware. According to the first answer to this post:


How do I get rid of malicious spyware, malware, viruses or rootkits from my PC?


I should do a re-format of the disk. But because I have an upgrade license a clean install would be hard, so I would like to use the reset option on the installation disk. In a comment on the answer mentioned above Joel Coehoorn states about the reset option:


@ConradFrix Too soon to say... I haven't needed to do this to a Windows 8 PC yet... but I'm pessimistic because it doesn't result in reformatting the drive. Windows 8 includes several security improvements, including running antivirus software from time 0 as part of the OS, such that I'm hopeful to never need to do this for Windows 8 at all. – Joel Coehoorn Nov 30 '12 at 20:11


I went on to search what the reset option was about and found this post:


What do Windows 8 Refresh and Reset my PC really do?


According to the first answer: "The Windows RE erases and formats the hard drive partitions on which Windows and personal data reside." when you choose the menu option: "Remove everything and reinstall"


I guess the reset option corresponds to this option in the settings menu. So my question is: Does the reset option lead to the removal of all malware and viruses on a computer with different partitions?


Additional details: I have three other partitions on the disk containing a Linux installation and a defect recovery partition, after resetting Windows I plan to reinstall Linux as well. I don't know what I should do with the recovery partition.


Node: I am planning to perform the reset by using a Windows installation disk.


Edit: Tried out the reset option and it isn't working so the question is no longer relevant.


Answer



If the malware has not gotten into your recovery partition, yes, it will destroy it. However, if the malware has gotten into the recovery partition, no, it will not. I suggest installing one of the more powerful Linux antivirus apps like Bitdefender (free for personal use) (application notes) and then scan all partitions on the drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...