Sunday, October 21, 2018

raid - Restore data from a single RAID1 disk


I have one half of a RAID 1 array (from a LaCie 2big Network NAS), from which I'm trying to recover the data.


I've connected the disk to my desktop PC (Ubuntu 11.04) using a Sitecom SATA/USB adapter, but it only sees an unformatted disk of size 0 (in Disk Utility).


How can I proceed?


(I'm also going to try using the NAS itself, but that may not work [at the moment it looks broken], so this question is about getting the data through other means.)


Answer



According to this thread: it seems to be a md array with xfs : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252747-32-read-files-lacie-drive-linux


Somebody described success with some (expensive) commercial recovery software (it's in the thread). If LaClie won't do support and you're not feeling confident about mdadm and xfs, then a data recovery shop is probably the best option.


That said... if the data is too important... even if you do feel confident with mdadm and xfs, a data recovery shop might be the best option. Sit down with your boss and do some risk analysis.


(Amateur recovery tip: when I do this kind of work, I do a dd of the disk, make a second copy of that dd image, then perform all my recovery operations on the duplicate image file using loopback.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...