Wednesday, February 28, 2018

windows - How did my computer get compromised?

How is it possible that my up to date install of Windows 7 with UAC enabled and Microsoft Security Essentials running became compromised, seemingly in a website drive-by?



I've run ostensibly the same security setup for many years now and never been compromised, what has changed? Has the nature of attacks become more advanced? What could I do to prevent another attack being successful?



Edited to add: Browsers used are mainly Chrome & Firefox, IE only on certain sites that require it and/or we know are safe.




Edit: Thanks for the answers. I've gone through everything and nothing was permanently damaged (no MBR virus etc.) but at the same time I didn't find anything that would point to the vector. Chalk one up for experience I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...