Friday, February 2, 2018

Windows 7 black screen dual boot

I have a computer with Debian and Windows 7 installed in dual boot. When I turn it on I get the normal motherboard screen, then the GRUB screen and from there I can run Debian without any problems. But if I try to run Windows 7, after the Windows logo I get a black screen with the mouse pointer.



If I try to run in any type of safe mode via F8 I get the same result.



What I tried:





  • Memtest from GRUB, doesn't detect any error

  • If I run the Startup Repair from the system recovery options it will run for a while and then it says that it finished but it don't actually solve the problem

  • I also tried to run chkdsk from the command prompt (from system recovery options) and it don't detect any error. If I run chkdsk /r it says that the disk is read-only

  • Boot-repair from Debian doesn't solve issue (this is the summary: http://paste2.org/zCL65yPM)



I can access all the files in the windows partition from debian.
I don't have any restore point for Windows.




If possible I would like to avoid to overwrite my Debian partition to recover Windows.



What else can I try? Tell me if you need some other information about the system.



EDIT:
I made a small mistake when describing the problem: after selecting Windows 7 in GRUB, Windows make me choose between the various safe modes and the "normal" mode. I tried every one of them and they don't work. If I choose the safe mode it will stop after loading some drivers. If I run the normal mode it displays the windows logo and then I get to the black screen with mouse pointer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...