Tuesday, February 27, 2018

windows 10 - Computer freezing unexpectedly?

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, but this problem started when I had Windows 8.
At random times the computer will completely freeze and require a restart. It is a work computer and it is connected to several networks. My connection to the networks is lost but so is my local connection. Whatever program I'm in will stop responding and I cannot open any files or other programs (including internet browsers, everything just lags).



Several times I have closed out of everything and restarted but most times the computer won't even restart properly. Restarts usually take a matter of seconds for Windows but it's stayed on the restart screen (with those little dots going round and round) for up to 10 minutes sometimes. I usually end up manually restarting it.



I can't pinpoint the freezing to a specific program because it has happened while I'm working in various programs (microsoft suite, autocad, etc.)




Is there something I can look into to see why my computer is doing this? It has happened consistently for a few weeks now.



Edit: I realize as a work computer, this is an IT problem. They have been notified and are getting me a new machine. For various reasons I still have to use this one for the next few weeks. I was hoping to find a temporary/permanent solution until then so my work can go on uninterrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...