Wednesday, February 21, 2018

linux - Recovering data off of a drive with a corrupt partition table - GPT Protective Partition?

A friends windows 10 machine crashed and the hard drive now won't boot.


We took the hard drive and put it into my desktop. Booted linux, but we can't force mount the drive and the volumes don't come online by themselves. The drive is 1TB in capacity. It is a hybrid drive HDD/SSD.


Here is fdisk on /dev/sda:
enter image description here


It only sees one sector on it.


enter image description here


Gparted doesn't see much either. Gparted says that it does not know the physical block size of the drive - 2048 bytes vs 512. I've read that it's impossible to recover data unless the software knows the correct block size.


gdisk didn't clarify things for me either:
enter image description here


This is when I looked at disk management in windows, and the drive comes up as a protected GPT Partition enter image description here


What are the next steps to try? I've read there is software that claims to convert GPT Protective partition to MBR without data loss but I am skeptical about that.




UPDATE:




The drive is on disk 0 and the model is:



WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD



I tried EaseUS partition manager to try and recover the partition table, but it does not see any partitions. I did not take any further action using easeUS. The automatic recovery of the regular easeUS program did not do much.


enter image description here


I also tried ZAR, and it failed to read any partitions on the drive as well. Since it does not know the size of the drive, it fails to create a meaningful disk image. When I manually specify 1024gb for the disk image, the image created off the drive comes out to only 512 bytes (0).


enter image description here


enter image description here


Minitool partition recovery can't seem to identify any partitions on the drive either:


enter image description here

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...