Tuesday, February 20, 2018

partitioning - HDD: lost partition table and bad sectors

I have an issue that's been running for the past few days. This weekend, I could use my external (Seagate Backup Plus Slim) HDD just fine, I even put a couple dozens GigaBytes worth of movies on it without an issue. However, a couple hours later, it started being faulty while watching those same movies, randomly disconnecting, and giving VLC a hard time decoding all of this.


I now am almost positive that a couple of issues on my computer caused this, more precisely what seems to be a faulty USB hub driver (and?) memory issues. But that's not the point here.


My issue is that I need to be able to recover files from this hard drive (optional as well as completely mandatory), but I am facing a couple of issues.


The first of which is that I, for several hours, couldn't access it consistently. I just got stubborn and tried to get it to work (on the buggy computer) and I think it finished messing it up. And after a moment trying to understand where the issue was coming from, nothing. The hard drive just wasn't there for any computer.


I tried it on my girlfriend's, and it detected it... Under the RAW format. The size was right and everything, but no file was there, and I didn't want to format it over. So I headed to my Debian-operated computer, on which I fiddled for a couple hours more with TestDisk. There, using the Deeper Search, I discovered that Cylinder 3759/XX/YY (or something like that) was unreadable every time. I can find the files with PhotoRec, but my HDD being a 2TB one (and me not possessing anything as large as this), I can't just do a whole PhotoRec recovery.


Hence why I need to figure out how to get my partition table back despite the faulty sectors. I could just repair the sectors (well, check the drive and everything) but I don't know of my partition table would still be recoverable after then. And, in the case of the other way around, if I even can recover the partition table with faulty sector(s).


So, any help would be more than greatly appreciated! Just keep this in mind: my files are there. It's just not a normal process to get them back, since I have two issues going on at once. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...